First Settlement, Prairie Du Chien, Wisconsin
The first settlement in what is now (1884) known as the town of Prairie du Chien was made at what is called Frenchtown, a suburb of the city of Prairie du Chien, and which is located on the "Prairie" midway between the bluff and the east bank of the Mississippi river two miles north of the city. This settlement dates back nearly a century, and was first called "Popple." The name "Frenchtown" began to be used about 1850.
Dennis Courtois was the first white man who settled at this place. In 1820 he made affidavits showing himself to have been in the country as early as 1792, at which time he and his wife came from Canada.
Claude Gagnier settled on farm lot No. 13, in 1794, and died leaving a family as residents of the place.
Francois Cheneviere came in 1806 and married a half blood Indian woman. In 1810 he erected a two-horse sweep power gristmill, which was in use till 1838.
Copyright 2002-2017 by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.