The History of Arnold Electric Company
The Arnold Electric Company was organized April 19, 1904, as the United States Standard Electrical "Works and business was started in a small way on the fourth floor of the Secor building, in Racine, where they occupied one room. They manufactured electrical devices under the trade name of Arnold and from the beginning the business grew very rapidly and developed its scope to include a line of motor operated devices. This company was the first to place on the market the small type of vacuum cleaners for household use and they were also the originators and developers of the portable massage vibrators, electric hair dryers, electric drink mixers, washing machines, electric signs and phonograph motors. They manufacture small power motors for various uses. On the 20th of November, 1914, the name was changed to the Arnold Electric Company and the capital stock was increased to one hundred thousand dollars, fully paid up. In 1907 the business was removed to a small building known as the Collier building, at Washington avenue and the Northwestern tracks, but in 1909 still more space was required and they purchased an entire city block, on which they erected a three-story and basement brick mill construction building, giving them fifty thousand square feet of floor space. They have their own tool making department and they employ about two hundred and fifty people, most of whom are skilled laborers. Their output is today sold all over the world and the business is recognized as one of the rapidly developing and profitable manufacturing concerns of Racine. Its officers are George C. Schmitz. president and manager, and J. A. Schmitz, secretary and treasurer.
Source: Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916, 1216 pgs.
Copyright 2002-2018 by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.