The History of The Carroll Coal Company
The Carroll Coal Company, one of the foremost enterprises of this
character operating in Racine, was organized on the 1st of May,
1910, succeeding to the business of
Joseph C. Carroll, who in turn was the successor of the firm of
E. L. Hedstrom & Company, who about 1886 embarked in the coal, coke
and wood business. The enterprise has since had a continuous
existence and the trade has developed to large proportions. The
present officers of the Carroll Company are: Fred C. Best,
president; Douglas F. McKey, secretary, and
George T. Caystile, treasurer and manager. The yards and main
office are situated at 931 Erie street, with a branch office at No.
423 Main Street. The yards cover about seventeen city lots. The
company owns it dockage, receiving all hard coal by boat, and other
excellent shipping facilities are secured through trackage of the
Northwestern and St. Paul railroad companies. They employ from
fifteen to thirty-five men and have team delivery. Their business
has now reached extensive proportions, making theirs one of the
foremost commercial enterprises of the city.
Source: Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916, 1216 pgs.
Copyright 2002-2018 by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.