The History of The Commercial Press Company
The Commercial Press Company was organized July 17. 1902, with a capital of ten thousand dollars, of which five thousand four hundred dollars was paid in. The first officers were: Robert C. Hindley, president; Robert W. Hindley, vice president; and T. P. Luker, secretary and treasurer. On the 29th of August, 1902, F. C. Bailey purchased stock to the amount of two thousand dollars and on the 9th of April, 1903, the Hindleys and Mr. Bailey sold out to F. G. and John Hassold and Ollie Luker. At that time the Hassolds put twenty-six hundred dollars more in the business and F. G. Hassold became president, with John Hassold as vice president and T. P. Luker as secretary and treasurer. On the 4th of June, 1903, the capital was increased to fifteen thousand dollars and on the 17th of August of that year Frank H. Miller purchased stock to the sum of five hundred dollars. He had been foreman from the start and he now became financially interested in the enterprise. On the 6th of May, 1905, he invested two thousand eight hundred dollars more in the treasury stock and a further change in the ownership occurred when on the 29th of August, 1905, Peter J. Huetten bought out the stock of F. G. and John Hassold and became president of the company. On the 22d of March, 1907, T. P. Luker resigned as secretary and treasurer, selling his stock to Frank H. Miller, who became his successor in the dual office and has continued as secretary and treasurer to the present time. On the 15th of July, 1908, the stock of Peter J. Huetten was purchased by Frank H. Miller and Leo F. Miller. The latter became president on the 15th of July, 1909, and J. Benjamin Miller, purchasing stock to the sum of five hundred dollars, became vice president. All of the stock is now owned by the Miller brothers. The company started at No. 612 College Avenue in a small way and in 1905 removed to No. 470 College Avenue, where they occupy the basement and first floor of the building. The company does the printing for the Wisconsin Agriculturist and conducts a general jobbing business, employing from twenty-five to thirty-five people, mostly skilled labor. They also do cataloguing and all kinds of commercial printing for the large corporations of Racine and elsewhere. Their business has now reached gratifying proportions and theirs is today one of the leading printing establishments of the city.
Source: Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916, 1216 pgs.
Copyright 2002-2019 by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.