Racine Manufacturing Company
The business now conducted under the name of the Racine Manufacturing Company was organized about 1910 under the present form but was established about 1902 under the name of the Racine Novelty Company by George W. Jagers. The business was thus conducted until December, 1909, when the plant was destroyed by fire, and in 1910 the company was reorganized with George W. Jagers, F. K. Bull and Fred F. Blandin as the incorporators. Since that time changes in ownership have occurred and the present officers are: John Reid, Jr., president: Charles F. Barndt, vice president, and F. J. Kidd, secretary and treasurer. The plant, located at Sixth and Mead streets, is devoted to the manufacture of automobile bodies, which are sold all over the United States. The factory contains five hundred thousand square feet of working space and there are three four-story buildings, all modern in construction, supplied with sprinkler system and thoroughly equipped for the conduct of the business. The latest improved machinery has been installed and the work has been so organized and systematized that there is no waste of time, labor or material. Co-operation is maintained between the various departments and the completion and assembling of the parts is accomplished in the shortest possible time. Something of the magnitude of the establishment is indicated in the fact that they have nine hundred employees upon the payroll and most of these are skilled laborers. The greater part of the output consists of automobile bodies for high grade cars and these are used by a score or more of the leading automobile manufacturers of the country. The plant is usually operated to its full capacity and within its walls the hum of industry is constantly heard, the undertaking being one of the important factors in the commercial activity and upbuilding of Racine.
Source: Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916, 1216 pgs.
Copyright 2002-2017 by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.