The History of Lavine Gear Company
The Lavine Gear Company, which was organized in Detroit, removed its headquarters from that city to Wisconsin in March, 1912. Its plant was at first located at Corliss, Wisconsin, for eight months and at the end of that time a removal was made to Racine. The plant is located in the Satterly building and the company is engaged in the manufacture of auto steering gears for trucks and pleasure cars, these being built after their own design. They also manufacture a special steering gear for customers. Today the plant employs one hundred men who are skilled mechanics and its capacity amounts to one hundred and twenty-five gears per day, which are now used by seventy per cent of the trucks of the United States. Their shop is equipped with all modern machinery for gear making and theirs is the second largest concern of the kind in the United States. Its officers are Herman Uihlein, president and general manager; Paul B. Wohlrab, vice president, superintendent and engineer; Fred Westfall, secretary and treasurer. The executive offices are maintained at Racine and E. M. Caskey acts as sales manager and D. L. Robertson as office manager.
Source: Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916, 1216 pgs.
Copyright 2002-2018 by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.