The American Skein & Foundry Company is one of the enterprises that has won for Racine its well established reputation as an industrial and manufacturing center. This business was established in 1900 under the name of the Racine Steel & Iron Works but was reorganized under the present style in 1904. The business was established by G. N. Prentice and others, while the present officers are: Walter F. Walker, president; and W. B. Mitchell, secretary and treasurer. The plant is located at Twenty-third and Racine streets and covers five acres. The buildings, one and two stories in height, are all modern in construction and equipment, and their output includes the skeins for wagons and drop-forging. They also make a line of jackscrews and anvils, and piano plates which are complete and ready for use in the piano. They employ one hundred and seventy people, mostly skilled labor, and their product is sent to manufacturers and jobbers. The output is sold all over the United States and the business has now reached very gratifying proportions, the house maintaining an enviable reputation for the value and worth of its product and for the business methods which govern the relations between manufacturer and patron.
Source: Stone, Fanny S. Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916.