Mohr-Jones Hardware Company
The Mohr-Jones Hardware Company of Racine was organized April 1. 1899, by Jacob Mohr and John W. Jones and succeeded to the business owned by Jacob Mohr, who in 1888 had become successor to the firm of Griffith & Mohr. That partnership was established about 1874 by W. T. Griffith and Jacob Mohr, but Mr. Griffith withdrew from the connection about 1885. In 1889 John W. Jones became an employee of the house and in 1899 became financially interested in the business. Jacob Mohr died January 9, 1909, and Mr. Jones then took over the Mohr interests. In the same year Griffith G. Jones purchased stock in the company, which was reorganized under the name of the Mohr-Jones Hardware Company, with John W. Jones as president and treasurer, Griffith G. Jones, vice president, and Christopher C. Gittings as secretary. The company's store is located at Nos. 315 and 317 Sixth Street and they also have a factory and warehouse at Eleventh Street and the tracks of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company. The factory is fully equipped, is one of the largest of its kind in the state and manufactures sheet metal. The firm sells to some extent to the wholesale trade and has an extensive retail trade, their interests being among the most extensive and important in this line in Racine.
Source: Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916, 1216 pgs.
Copyright 2002-2017 by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.