The History of Racine Auto Tire Company
The Racine Auto Tire Company was organized as a partnership February 1, 1910. by L. J. Elliott and Clarence H. Wright and was incorporated November 28, 1914, with Mr. Elliott as president, J. H. Wright as vice president and Clarence H. Wright as secretary, treasurer and manager. The plant is located at No. 1220 Fourteenth Street. They started with small space and three employees, while the output amounted to three tires per day. Something of the growth of the business within the short space of less than six years is indicated in the fact that they now employ one hundred and twenty-five men and manufacture two hundred and twenty-five tires per day, their output being known to the market, as the Racine Horseshoe tire. They manufacture all sizes and weights of tires for various machines and these are sold to dealers and jobbers throughout the middle west and to the Pacific coast. They use excellent material and employ skilled labor, as is evidenced by the rapid increase in their output. The product is of very high grade and the growth of the business is indicated in the fact that it is now profitable to maintain branch houses at Des Moines, Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Chicago. Their plant covers a space of seventy-five by one hundred and seventy-five feet, the building being two stories in height and they expect to erect a new factory at an early date. By the 1st of June, 1916, their shipments reached an amount equal to all shipments made in 1915. The growth of the business has been particularly rapid since 1914 and is due to careful organization, judicious advertising, excellent workmanship in manufacturing and the marked executive power of the officials.
Source: Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916, 1216 pgs.
Copyright 2002-2018 by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.