The Higgins Spring & Axle Company is successor to the Ansted & Higgins Spring Company, which was established in 1884 by Michael Higgins and E. W. Ansted. Their plant was located at Racine Junction and there they began the manufacture of springs, putting upon the market a product which found immediate favor, as indicated by the continued growth of their business. This led to the establishment of a branch plant at Connersville, Indiana, which was afterward taken over by Mr. Ansted, and the partnership was then dissolved, Mr. Higgins remaining in charge of the Racine establishment. The company was incorporated under its present form in 1892, with Mrs. Mary Higgins as the president, James Higgins as secretary and Michael Higgins as treasurer. They are engaged in the manufacture of springs and axles, doing special work for various companies, and their output is sold all over the United States. The business has become one of large proportions, as indicated in the fact that employment is now given to from one hundred and severity-five to two hundred people, mostly skilled labor. The plant covers about, half a block, most of the building is two stories in height and the equipment of the shop includes the latest improved machinery necessary for their line. Their business methods have ever commended them to the confidence and support of the public and they are just in their treatment of debtor and creditor alike, while to their employees they are considerate, advancing those in their service in recognition of talent and fidelity whenever opportunity offers.
Source: Stone, Fanny S. Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916.