The Racine Puttyless Window Company, one of the recent additions to the business circles of Racine, was organized in 1914, at which time Gustave Bahnemann was chosen president, with Walter S. Goodland, secretary and treasurer, and Dr. J. S. Beech as vice president. There has been no change in the personnel of the firm since that time. The business is conducted at No. 1117 Main street, where they occupy a building two hundred by one hundred and fifteen feet and two stories in height with a four story factory on the west side of the street that is fifty by one hundred and fifteen feet. Here they have a lumberyard and they employ fifty people, most of whom are skilled workmen. The company manufactures wood work of all kinds and their specialty is the puttyless window. In this connection the plant manufactures about one hundred thousand windows per year in both wood and metal work and the frame is so constructed that it does away with all putty, making a much better and more durable window. The value of their output is further indicated in the fact that twenty-four other firms are now manufacturing the puttyless window on a royalty and the company receives a good financial return in that way. The durability of putty has ever been a question of time when it has had to he replaced and with the output of the company this necessity has been obviated. The business is now thoroughly organized and systematized so that there is no useless expenditure of time, labor or material and their patronage is steadily growing.
Source: Stone, Fanny S. Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916.