Wisconsin Genealogy

Beffel Furniture & Undertaking Company

The Beffel Furniture & Undertaking Company has succeeded to the business established by Mathias Beffel, the enterprise having been in continuous existence for forty-one years. The store is located at No. 610 Sixth street, Racine, and the interests of the concern are managed by William J. Beffel, who is president of the company, and Edward Beffel, secretary and treasurer. It was on the 26th of September, 1914, that the business was organized under the present name. The original establishment was located at the corner of College avenue and Sixth Street and after two years a removal was made to the …

Beffel Furniture & Undertaking Company Read More »

Brehm Brothers Company

Brehm Brothers Company is one of the oldest and most prosperous business concerns of Burlington, doing a storage, draying and heavy teaming business and also dealing in coal and salt. Another feature of the business is the sale of heavy draft horses and the quality of their horses is acknowledged by expert judges to be the best in southern Wisconsin. The business was founded in 1868 by Bernard Brehm, a sketch of whom appears above. In 1891 the firm name was changed to B. Brehm & Son, when the father was joined in the partnership by his eldest son, William …

Brehm Brothers Company Read More »

The Carroll Coal Company

The Carroll Coal Company, one of the foremost enterprises of this character operating in Racine, was organized on the 1st of May, 1910, succeeding to the business of Joseph C. Carroll, who in turn was the successor of the firm of E. L. Hedstrom & Company, who about 1886 embarked in the coal, coke and wood business. The enterprise has since had a continuous existence and the trade has developed to large proportions. The present officers of the Carroll Company are: Fred C. Best, president; Douglas F. McKey, secretary, and George T. Caystile, treasurer and manager. The yards and main …

The Carroll Coal Company Read More »

The Commercial Press Company

The Commercial Press Company was organized July 17. 1902, with a capital of ten thousand dollars, of which five thousand four hundred dollars was paid in. The first officers were: Robert C. Hindley, president; Robert W. Hindley, vice president; and T. P. Luker, secretary and treasurer. On the 29th of August, 1902, F. C. Bailey purchased stock to the amount of two thousand dollars and on the 9th of April, 1903, the Hindleys and Mr. Bailey sold out to F. G. and John Hassold and Ollie Luker. At that time the Hassolds put twenty-six hundred dollars more in the business …

The Commercial Press Company Read More »

Elite Laundry

The Elite Laundry is an expression of Racine’s enterprise and business ability. It is the property of the firm of Eager & Dunn and the rapid development of its business is indicative of the progressive methods of the owners. In 1905 the firm of Chapman & Anderson established the Elite Laundry at No. 612 Sixth Street, but after two years the business failed. Several months later the plant was sold to Hess & Williams, who a year later sold to Eager & Dunn. Something of the growth of the business is indicated in the fact that at that time the …

Elite Laundry Read More »

F. J. Greene Engineering Works

There are not many hours in which the ring of hammer and steel does not waken the echoes in Racine and the name of the city has become to the outside world a synonym for unflagging industry. Various successful industrial concerns have contributed to the reputation of the city in this regard. The F. J. Greene Engineering Works have been in existence since 1892, when the business was established by Fred and George Hodges under the firm style of Hodges & Son. Two years later, or in 1894, Frederick J. Greene purchased an interest in the business and about 1902 …

F. J. Greene Engineering Works Read More »

S. Freeman & Sons Manufacturing Company

The S. Freeman & Sons Manufacturing Company, one of the foremost business enterprises of Racine, was established in 1867 by S. Freeman, who in a small way began manufacturing and repairing boilers. A few months later he entered into partnership with William E. Davis and opened a little machine shop. In 1868 they admitted John R. Davies to a partnership, at which time Mr. Davies was operating a foundry in the old Star mills, located where the William Pugh coal yards are now found. At that time the firm name was Davies, Freeman & Davis. After a brief existence the …

S. Freeman & Sons Manufacturing Company Read More »

Gold Medal Camp Furniture Manufacturing Company

The Gold Medal Camp Furniture Manufacturing Company had its inception in a business started by R. B. Lang in 1890 and incorporated in 1892, its first officers being R. B. Lang, president ; William G. Gittings, vice president; and J. G. Teall, secretary. This company manufactures all kinds of camp furniture and outing outfits, although at the beginning the output included only six or seven articles, among which was the Gold Medal Cot invented by Louis Latour. Since that time the output has been extended in its scope until there is no accessory to camp furnishings that cannot be supplied …

Gold Medal Camp Furniture Manufacturing Company Read More »

Chicago Rubber Clothing Company

The Chicago Rubber Clothing Company, with its plant at the corner of Albert Street, the Northwestern tracks and Forest Avenue, controls one of the largest establishments of this kind in the United States. The company has about four acres of ground space, its buildings covering two acres. Two of these are three stories in height, one is two stories and two are one story structures and all are of brick construction, adequately supplied with a sprinkler system. The buildings are well lighted and ventilated and the employees work under sanitary conditions. They employ over two hundred people, fifty per cent …

Chicago Rubber Clothing Company Read More »

The Hartmann Trunk Company

Joseph S. Hartmann, president of the Hartmann Trunk Company, of Racine, was born in Germany, in 1846, and was a youth of sixteen years when he made the long voyage across the briny deep to the United States in 1862. He first settled in New York but afterward made his way- westward to Wisconsin, establishing his home in Milwaukee. A few years later he embarked in the trunk business there under the name of Carpeles-Hartmann & Company, and later removed to Chicago although he established his business in Racine. The Hartmann Trunk Company was organized in November, 1889, and the …

The Hartmann Trunk Company Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top